Tuesday 19 April 2011

Bergamot Pro

As suspected, using Bergamo Pro was going to be a bit like squeezing a square through a round hole. It was never going to fit. I'll keep it up my sleeve for another day, though, because it's so beautiful to read.

Alas, the big issue really is with the glyphs (and with me, for not properly checking the language family support first! Live and learn). I have now become fixated with family language support lists for all typefaces, and am happily narrowing down my experimentation to this list only.

As you can see below, it all looks great except for two things. Can you spot them? Well, first is the big glaring glyph in the word 'ocima', which has defaulted back to Myriad Pro. Not ideal. As before, I went to find it manually, but it wasn't there, so this was the deciding factor. No go. Also, the inverted commas need kerning. They just don't sit right to me at all. The opening inverted comma sits too far away from the left alignment, while the closing inverted commas sits too far from the full stop. Also, I wasn't really keen on how far away each commas was from each other, which is impossible to kern, unless I use single inverted commas and kern them together manually. Hmm...24 panels later, it's not seeming really worth it to me. So, onward. Bye bye Bergamo Pro.




It seems basic, but until you make the mistake, I guess it isn't so basic after all! Font sites like to make it easy for you, by providing a list of family language support lists, like this one:



Tomorrow, I'll start a list of typefaces that have Bosnian as part of their Family Language support group and go from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment