Friday 22 April 2011

Bosnian exhibition - serif type trial continues...

I have been through many, many serif typefaces, but there always seems to be one or more problems with them. Either they don't support Bosnian or, even more curiously, the Bosnian and English sitting beside one another look slightly different (I'm trusting my eyes on this - as did Grandjean, when he referred to his type models as the "the supreme tribunal of the eye").*

To date, the most successful typeface appears to be Adobe Caslon Pro, with Myriad Pro for breakout quotes.

I have also experimented with the layout a bit, but in truth, I keep coming back to the very simple, Gill Sans layout. 

Defining a grid is very important for this design, because the text for each panel is not always the same length. Once the final layout has been decided, I will also make a grid that defines the distance between the breakout quote and the main text. As you can see below, some of the layouts have gone way too close to the edge, and I would prefer there to be more space. Also, I don't want the reader's eyes to have to move too far from left to right, so the grid will make sure this doesn't happen.

Adobe Caslon Pro - serif type with Bosnian language family support. Break out quotes in Myriad Pro.

I think there might be something in these layouts, but I'm yet to hit the 'ah ha!' moment with them.

This layout has so many things wrong with it, but it's worth putting it up for that reason alone.

The idea of this one is to make the two languages work together a bit. The colour helps to define, but then your eye, upon reaching the end of the text, has to make contact with the other language too, before you realise and have to skip to the other column. I liked the idea of connecting readers to language in this way.

Adobe Caslon Pro.

Layout with Adobe Caslon Pro for all text (except name).

English language section in Adobe Caslon Pro. 100%.

Close up of Adobe Caslon Pro in Bosnian - this is what the type will look like at 100%.

No comments:

Post a Comment