Thursday 26 May 2011

The finals designs begin...

While this research project has a long way to go, the design process is now underway for real. No more experiments! We have all of the information except one little thing that might actually have a large impact on what happens next: the structure of the bottom panel (mentioned two posts ago) also has the printer a bit stumped, so until it comes from Belgrade and he can check it out on person, I have to wait. This means that until I can know for sure, this design might still change.

IF the design needs to be folded with the metal, this version I'm showing you now will change slightly. The graphics at the bottom (the film spools) will be moved to the bottom and folded under with the metal. If the design is not done that way, then I might rethink this, leaving it where it is, and just making the background of the smaller panel black with the same type and colour as the name of the person at the top.

My main worry is if they can't do those panels for any reason, then the breakout quotes either need to be added to the main panel, which changes all of the text again. This is a bit of a worry, because these panels are small than the original ones we were thinking of. The text size is the same as the designs for the other frames, but this is only because the breakout quotes have been taken out. If they need to be put back in...hmmm. Well, we'll just have to wait until next week when the printer will get back to me.

In the meantime, I've designed a large panel, according the the new specs, and printed it out. I kind of messed up the cutting and sticking stage for all the pieces, but I'm going to do it again this afternoon (when I get back from the 100 yen shop with cutting equipment and glue!). Anyway, the real purpose was to print the type to life size and hang it and read it to see if there are any tracking or legibility issues. So far so good, I think! The printing process will make the blue much more vibrant than my printer could come up with, so I think it will actually look very nice.

Here's photos for now - when I make the whole panel later. I'll post some more. I'll also do a mock up of the smaller panel and put them together later - watch this space!

After all the tiles were printed. What a puzzle!

Cutting and lining up the type section was pretty tricky...

Finger, for scale! Very scientific.

From about 3 metres away. You can see that it became a bit skewiff.

No comments:

Post a Comment